Purpose of the experiment
In this experiment I am going to help you reduce the bounce rate of your home page.
Why? Because your home page is the page that gets the most free traffic. It’s wise to make the most of that traffic and turn it into leads and sales. In the end it becomes FREE MONEY!
Pre requisite to starting the experiment
- You need Google Analytics installed and configured correctly. I am assuming you have analytics installed correctly – if you haven’t installed the code on your website you need to start here. To check if your account is set up correctly you need to grab this checklist here.
- Next you need to gather the data needed to create your hypothesis (the thing you are going to test). For this experiment you need the bounce rate of your page and you need to have the design of your page available.
- You need to have a clear goal of the page i.e. The main goal of the page is to get the visitor to xxxxx . This could be to go to lead magnet landing page.
Ok, now we are going to look at your bounce rate and the elements of your page to see where the problem lies.
- The main message or hook of the page.
Combining the headline, sub-headline and first paragraph, what is the big idea the content is trying to communicate? Is it clear? Is it compelling? Does it speak to the desires of the visitor?
If you think the problem lies here then your hypothesis will be “Visitors are not moving past my home page because they do not resonate with my message”
Now, spend a little time rewriting the main message, write a new headline, a new sub-headline and a short paragraph until you think it really speaks to your intended audience.
2. If you are happy with your message, it is time to look at the copy that leads them to the action on your home page that moves them to take the desired action.
What does the copy say? Is it focused on the visitor? Does it mention benefits? You need to think about the strength of the copy and whether it is doing a good job at moving people toward taking the desired action. If you think it is weak you need to rewrite the copy several times. Try using power words and a tome that your audience will respond to.
3. If you think the copy is ok, the next element to look at is the call to action.
Is it clear, compelling and action focused? If you think it can be improved, write out a few different calls to action.
4. If your call to action is fine, next you need to think about the busyness of your page.
If there is too much clutter then this will be very distracting. Look at what else is on your home page. Think about the number of links leading from your home page. You want one main call to action above the fold and perhaps 2 smaller ones below the fold. If you give your visitor too many options then they are likely to take none. Consider a page that is clearer and more focused on your primary goal. What elements can you remove?
5. Now let’s consider trust.
Visitors are more likely to take action if they trust you. What are you doing to build up trust with your visitors? What can you do to add more elements of trust? Add testimonials perhaps?
6. Finally let’s think about relateability.
What are you doing on your home page so your visitors can relate to you or your business? This often means good imagery portraying either you or the end result. Have you thought about how well your visitors relate to you? If not, it’s time to think about this and think about how you can include elements in your copy and imagery.
This analysis is your qualitative analysis and addresses the quality of your page.
You need to pick the element you think is the lowest quality and change only that.
Once you have decided on an element to test, create a new page that is identical except that it contains that new element.
When I carry out an analysis, I also use quantitative data analysis. This involves the use of data from Google Analytics, Heat Maps, Scroll Maps and user feedback surveys.
Now you are ready to create your test. Click here to read this next post to find out how.
SHARING IS CARING
If you have enjoyed this article and found value in it, please consider sharing it with someone who would benefit it. Not only will it help them but it will help me too. Thank you.
RELATED POSTS TO READ NEXT
OR BROWSE ANOTHER CATEGORY
DON'T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE BLOG!