The Weider Web Solutions Discovery Process
What is a discovery process?
A discovery process is a process we work through with all of our clients. It is designed to discover enough information to enable us to build a high performing website that delivers value to your business. It consists of 4 workshops designed to clarify your needs and provide us with much needed data to enable us to perform valuable market research.
Why is a discovery process useful?
We know quite a lot about web technologies and what websites need to have in order to become a valuable asset for your business. You know everything about your business, your competitors, your market and your customers. For a website to provide value, we need to combine what you know and what we know. Request For Proposals (RFP) don’t give enough information to create a valuable scope of work. It is mostly a one way process. The discovery process is a two way process. As we dig into your business, it is common to unearth problems that wouldn’t have made it into your RFP document. We can really get to the root of your problems and because we spend time really getting to know your business you can be confident the solution we propose is tailored specifically for your business.
From time to time we come across business owners who are not very clear on their goals, or their branding. This is where the benefits of the discovery process become immediately obvious.
You get to test drive us. The discovery process is a low commitment, high value activity. You get a lot of value from our report as detailed below. If you decide you don’t like the way we do things, thats fine. You don’t have to use us to build your website. You can take the report away and give it to another agency. It’s yours!
What are the 4 workshops?
1. Business Discovery workshop
We get right into the details of your business. Everything we discuss is confidential. The topics covered include;
- Background of your business
- What are you selling?
- Your USP (Unique selling point)
- Your mission and vision statement
- The problems you solve
- Your goals for the business and for the website
- Your positioning – where are you now? where do you want to be? – what are your goals? vision? how are you going to get there?
- Who are your competitors and why
2. Branding workshop
We look at your current branding and help you work out if it needs to be improved. Some of the questions we will ask you are;
- What are your brand values?
- What is the voice and tone of your website?
- What messages do you want to get across to your market?
- What do you want people to think, feel and say about your business?
- What visual elements reflect your brand? Logo, fonts, colour scheme etc.
3. Marketing and sales workshop (defining your funnel)
Websites can be really powerful sales and marketing tools if they are designed to complement your current process. We will work with you to define your funnel and see how your website needs to be improved to make it operate like a funnel. Some of things we will ask you are;
- What marketing do you do now? How do you find new customers?
- What works / what doesn’t?
- What information do customers need to know before they purchase from you?
- How do you sell to them, what do you say?
- What are their objections when selling to them?
- Who do you target, how do you approach them?
- How do you keep in touch with your customers to sell them more?
- Do you have a customer support process?
4. Persona workshop (your customer)
Websites are only successful when they engage visitors and then convince them to take action. Visitors only engage if they feel like they are being talked to directly and their needs are being catered for. To engage your visitors you need to know who you are talking to and what content they will respond to; To work this out we will ask you the following;
- Who is your ideal customer or customers?
- Do you have customer groups? Do they behave differently?
- We will dig into how much you know about your customers, demographics, personality, needs, problems etc.
What happens after the workshops?
Once we have all that information, my team and myself will perform the following research and audit your site.
We will look at your competitors and work out what they are doing and what opportunities exist to increase your competitive edge.
We will look at what your competitors are doing to get themselves noticed in Google and provide a brief report about what you need to do to outrank them, this will be your future SEO strategy.
Using your website analytics and other tools you will receive an audit of the following;
We will look at the content on your website and how it is performing so we can offer advice on your future content strategy.
We will audit your site to see how well it is performing in google. We will provide a report of what you can improve.
Social media audit.
We will look at your social media accounts and offer suggestions for your future social media strategy.
Design and branding audit.
We will offer some design improvements for your current site that are needed to bring your site inline with your branding. We will also advise on how you can strengthen your branding if necessary.
What does the report contain?
At the end of the discovery phase you will receive a report and a solutions presentation. Your report will consist of;
- Overview of your business, your problems and goals.
- An overview of your market and your marketing and sales funnel.
- An ideal customer persona of who your website will be targeted at.
- Results of competitor research.
- Results of content audit with suggestions for content strategy.
- Results of SEO audit with suggestions for SEO strategy.
- Results of social media audit with suggestions for social media strategy.
- Google analytics insights about who is visiting your site and what they are doing.
- Redesign recommendations. This is where you find out if a redesign is really necessary and if you can achieve your goals modifying what you have already.
How long does the discovery process take?
This phase can take between 2 and 4 weeks to complete and depends on access to the right people in your business who can answer questions and depends on having access to data and your website analytics. We can do it as a half day session at our office, two – two hour skype sessions, four – one hour sessions; however you feel you can fit it into your day.
How much does it cost?
At the moment, the cost is £500+VAT. The cost of discovery is separate from the cost of your overall project and you are not obliged to instruct us for your web project if you change your mind after discovery. You are free to take the report and do with it what you wish.
Do you offer any guarantee?
We can offer two guarantees. First, we guarantee that without a thorough discovery process your new website will not deliver much value to your business. A new website will always look good but without a strategy you will be taking a chance on it actually being useful for your business. Even if you do not choose to go through discovery with us, choose an agency that takes the time to get to know your business before providing solutions.
Second, if you start discovery with us and change your mind half way, we will give you a full refund. So, if after your second meeting you feel like the discovery process is a waste of time. We will give you your money back, no further questions asked.
Ready to start your discovery process with us?
SHARING IS CARING
If you have enjoyed this article and found value in it, please consider sharing it with someone who would benefit it. Not only will it help them but it will help me too. Thank you.