Do you know that conversion rates drop with site loading speed?
A study carried out by Akamai revealed the following statistics
- A 100-millisecond delay in website load time can hurt conversion rates by 7 percent
- A two-second delay in web page load time increase bounce rates by 103 percent
- 53 percent of mobile site visitors will leave a page that takes longer than three seconds to load
I think it is fair to say that conversion rates do drop with website loading time.
There is a lot you can do to speed up your website, I have talked about that in other posts.
- A beginners guide to speeding up your website
- A comparison of plugins that speed up WordPress website loading speed
- Website Speed Optimisation
- Mobile Load Speed Optimisation
- How to optimise images to increase page load speed
But the goal of this post is to help you understand the role your web host plays in your website load time.
If you find your host is slowing your website down too much, then you can take action and find a better host.
So, how fast is your hosting? Let’s find out shall we?
STEP 1: Go to Pingdom Tools
STEP 2: Enter the URL of the page you want to measure. Your home page should be fine for this experiment. If you are using SSL, just make sure you put the https in front of your URL or you will get a slower speed instantly because of redirects.
STEP 3: Enter the location nearest to where your ideal client is the ‘test from’ box. Once you have a fast site you can then see how it performs at different locations around the world.
STEP 4: Click the ‘START TEST’ button. Wait a few moments while the test takes place.
STEP 5: Find the ‘Waterfall Diagram’. Once the test has finished scroll down the page until you see the waterfall diagram, it looks something like the diagram below.
STEP 6: Hover over the coloured bars on the first line. Look for the part where it tells you the wait time. This is the how long the server is taking to respond. For my site, on this occasion, it is ms. It can vary so repeat this test a few times and take the average. If it is longer than 1 second then consider changing hosts or upgrading your server with your current host.
In this example, my server wait time is 112ms. That’s fast. I’m happy.
Now, go and check yours.
Let me know in the comments what it is!